Exclusive enteral nutritional therapy can relieve inflammatory bowel stricture in Crohn’s disease.

Related Articles

Exclusive enteral nutritional therapy can relieve inflammatory bowel stricture in Crohn’s disease.

J Clin Gastroenterol. 2014 Oct;48(9):790-5

Authors: Hu D, Ren J, Wang G, Li G, Liu S, Yan D, Gu G, Zhou B, Wu X, Chen J, Ding C, Wu Y, Wu Q, Liu N, Li J

Abstract
GOALS: To examine the efficiency of exclusive enteral nutrition (EEN) in relieving inflammatory bowel stricture in patients with Crohn’s disease (CD).
BACKGROUND: Patients with CD usually develop bowel strictures due to transmural edema of intestinal wall, which can potentially be managed with conservative medical treatment. Previous studies showed that EEN therapy could induce clinical remission through its anti-inflammation effect.
METHODS: We achieved a prospective observational study. CD patients with inflammatory bowel stricture were preliminarily differentiated from a fibrous one, and further treated with EEN therapy for 12 weeks. Demographics and clinical variables were recorded. Nutritional (body mass index, albumin, pre-albumin, transferrin, etc.), inflammatory (C-reactive protein, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, white blood cell, etc.), and radiologic parameters (bowel wall thickness, luminal diameter, and luminal cross-sectional area) were evaluated at baseline, week 4, and week 12, respectively.
RESULTS: Between May 2012 and January 2013, 65 patients with CD were preliminarily diagnosed with inflammatory bowel stricture and 6 patients were further excluded. Among the remaining 59 cases, 50 patients (84.7%) finished the whole EEN treatment, whereas the other 9 patients (15.3%) gained progressive bowel obstruction resulting in surgery. Intention-to-treat analyses showed that 48 patients (81.4%) achieved symptomatic remission, 35 patients (53.8%) achieved radiologic remission, and 42 patients (64.6%) achieved clinical remission. Among those patients who complete the whole EEN therapy, inflammatory, nutritional, and radiologic parameters improved significantly compared with baseline. Of note, the average luminal cross-sectional area at the site of stricture increased approximately 331% at week 12 (195.7 ± 18.79 vs. 59.09 ± 10.64 mm, P<0.001).
CONCLUSIONS: EEN therapy can effectively relieve inflammatory bowel stricture in CD, which replenishes roles of enteral nutrition in the treatment of CD. Further studies are expected to investigate the underlying mechanisms of this effect in the future.

PMID: 24440935 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]

PubMed Link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24440935?dopt=Abstract